In this article I will show you how to write a text in CATIA on a surface, in engineering this type of ‘write’ it’s named engraved or embossed text.
With engraved/ embossed text you can write on surfaces very easy using the popular commands Pad and Pocket using a predefined text. To do this, I will show you in few steps how to write a text on a surface.
Embossed/ engraved steps in CATIA V5
- First you must open a blank Drawing file (File -> New -> Drawing). In this file you must write the text that you want to be engraved or embossed. You can choose any popular font to write, but you must know that not all fonts are available to be used. To write use the Text command chose a font (e.g. Arial) and the size must be 20 or larger and you should check the Bold command. For information if you choose the font size of 20, this is equivalent with 20 mm height.
- In the 2nd step you must save this Drawing as type .dwg. To do this step, go to File -> Save As … It`s very important to save under this type.
- In the 3rd step you must Open an existent Part that you want to be engraved or embossed. After that Open the file saved in step 2, copy the Main View from Drawing Tree and paste it into a Geometrical set in your Part. If you can see anything after Paste command, go to View -> Fit In All.
- Now we have the Part and the text. If the position of the text isn’t good, you can use the Translate function or the Compass.
- To make the last step you must choose the either the Pad or the Pocket command to obtain either the embossed part or the engraved one.
This is only a simple trick; you can type even on spherical or complex surfaces using the command Pad and modify the Type of Dimension (e.g. up to surface). Just use your imagination!
If you need help don’t hesitate to use the comment section.